Liza Burke’s 20+ years of knowledge and experience are garnered from hundreds of prior clients and cases. Ms. Burke has represented individuals from all walks of life and all types of social, cultural and financial backgrounds. She has been the Seattle defense attorney or advocate for professionals such as business executives, doctors, sports figures and lawyers. She has also been the attorney for grandparents, students and young children.
Ms. Burke has made hundreds of court appearances in superior, municipal and juvenile courts throughout Western Washington and was trained in the high volume, urban courts of Seattle. She has tried cases with very poor prospects of success and obtained “not guilty” verdicts. She has successfully negotiated complete dismissals of serious cases and other resolutions which protect her clients’ liberty and dignity. And she has done all things in between those two outcomes.
Ms. Burke is proud that many of her client referrals come from her former opponents, prosecutors, case workers and opposing counsel. She is equally proud that many of her client referrals come from her many satisfied prior clients.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Ms. Burke brings the wisdom and knowledge obtained from over 20 years of interaction with hundreds of opposing counsel, all levels of prosecutors, and from her collaborative work with many top notch attorneys in Washington State in settings ranging from serious high profile felonies to more modest legal proceedings.
COMMITMENT TO CLIENTS
Because of her years of in depth and varied experience, Ms. Burke’s clients can fully expect and receive excellent communication, education, strategy, advocacy and outcome. Additionally, her clients know to expect candor and fairness regarding the fees and costs for the representation.
Liza Burke is a graduate of the University of Washington School of Law. Admitted to practice in Washington in 1993, the majority of her legal career has focused on defending people accused of wrongdoing in criminal, civil and educational settings. For several years, Ms. Burke has been recognized “Super Lawyer” by Washington Law and Politics Magazine in addition to being elected by her peers to serve as a leader on the prestigious governing body of the Washington State Bar Association, the WSBA Board of Governors, from 2005 to 2008.
Ms. Burke began her career as a staff attorney at Society of Counsel where she successfully represented hundreds of adults and juveniles in the misdemeanor, juvenile and felony divisions. Ms. Burke joined the AV rated law firm of Cohen & Iaria in 2001. There she handled almost all of the firm’s juvenile and domestic violence cases in addition to other legal matters. Ms. Burke remained with Cohen & Iaria as a partner until the firm closed in 2009.
Ms. Burke regularly appears in superior, juvenile and district courts throughout Western Washington. She has successfully represented hundreds of individuals charged with crimes ranging from misdemeanors to serious felonies. She has particularly extensive experience in defending youthful offenders both in juvenile and adult courts. Her juvenile court work also includes child welfare/dependency proceedings where Ms. Burke has represented mothers, fathers, third parties and children.
Ms. Burke also has extensive experience in domestic violence matters including protection order proceedings, victim defendant representation, defendant representation and victim representation.
Ms. Burke is a respected leader in the legal community. As a member of the Washington State Bar Association’s Board of Governors, she served as the board liaison to the Committee on Public Defense, Judicial Recommendation Committee, the Mandatory CLE Board and the WSBA Criminal Law Section and Juvenile Law Section. Ms. Burke was active in the pioneering efforts that established the statewide Juvenile Law Section for Washington attorneys and she presented the motion for establishment of section to the Washington State Bar Association Board of Governors in June 2006.
Ms. Burke was also appointed to serve on the State Bar Association’s Trust Account and Retainers Task Force in 2005. The focus of the task force was a revision to the Rules of Professional Conduct regarding lawyer fees. The work of the task force was ultimately adopted by the Washington State Supreme Court.
She also served on the Board of Directors for Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons from 2006 to 2008.
SEMINARS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Ms. Burke speaks at seminars and to interested groups regarding juvenile offense issues and criminal law practice. For several years she was a guest lecturer along with the head of the King County Prosecutor’s Office Juvenile Unit at both the UW Law School and Seattle University where she jointly presented to students on the proper role of the lawyer in juvenile court. She has served as a contributing author to the King County Bar Association’s Lawyer’s Practice Manual and is a former instructor at the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. In 2007, she was the keynote speaker at the King County swearing in ceremony for new lawyers of the Washington State Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
Ms. Burke is admitted to practice in Washington and the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. She is a member of the King County Bar Association, the Washington State Bar Association Criminal Law Section, the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Washington Defender Association.
- Protection Order Client I have read everything that has been submitted and you did such a great job organizing all of the info. In fact, I have read it like ten times. It is all put together so well and is completely accurate. Thank you so much for everything you have done for me. I can’t express how much it means to me…
- Criminal Defense Client with Immigration Concerns You are proactively addressing my immigration concerns without which I might have been in big trouble.
- DV Defense “A year ago today I met you at your office to prepare for my hearing the next day regarding the Protection Order M filed against me. I was so scared to meet you because I had never had an attorney before, and I was so ashamed that I had been arrested. However, you were calm and encouraging. Altho…
- Juvenile Criminal Defense Client As I checked “No” for having been adjudicated guilty for a crime on my college applications this evening, I realized I never got to thank you for everything you have done for me. I know that this is your job and you do this for people every day, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your…
- Sexual Assault Protection Order Client I wanted to thank you for all your great help so far. It has been a very challenging period and you have been of great support to me. I do not have words to express how grateful I am to find you as my attorney. You are extremely knowledgeable, understand law in and out and find a best way out for…
- IDeT (Juvenile Felony) Recommends Liza Burke We appreciate all your efforts on behalf of our family. You are a wonderful lawyer and a truly caring and kind advocate.
- Felony Dismissal “I got my job back at Fidelity!!!” Client, M.L.